[Fredslist] book recommendation needed

Marc W. Halpert ybillc at optonline.net
Mon Nov 11 15:39:13 EST 2013

This is a fabulous book for young and old.

It was a town-wide book selection for 2013 in Fairfield, CT and the middle
schoolers were all reading it.

I read it twice.

It's all about being kind and accepting, without bullying, either verbal or
nonverbal, and no preconceived notions about what is "normal."

>From the book:

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably
worse.

August Pullman was born with a facial deformity that, up until now, has
prevented him from going to a mainstream school. Starting 5th grade at
Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary
kid-but his new classmates can't get past Auggie's extraordinary face.
WONDER, now a #1 New York Times bestseller and included on the Texas
Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie's point of view, but soon
switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others.
These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community's struggle with
empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

"Wonder is the best kids' book of the year," said Emily Bazelon, senior
editor at Slate.com and author of Sticks and Stones: Defeating the Culture
of Bullying and Rediscovering the Power of Character and Empathy. In a world
where bullying among young people is an epidemic, this is a refreshing new
narrative full of heart and hope. R.J. Palacio has called her debut novel "a
meditation on kindness" -indeed, every reader will come away with a greater
appreciation for the simple courage of friendship. Auggie is a hero to root
for, a diamond in the rough who proves that you can't blend in when you were
born to stand out.

http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-R-J-Palacio-ebook/dp/B0051ANPZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U
TF8
<http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-R-J-Palacio-ebook/dp/B0051ANPZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=
UTF8&qid=1384202180&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder>
&qid=1384202180&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder

We exceed expectations.

Thanks and best regards,

Marc W. Halpert, managing partner

              http://www.yourbestinterestonline.com/grnlogo.gif
cid:image009.jpg at 01CD9197.AFF52420
cid:image010.jpg at 01CD9197.AFF52420

     Your Best Interest LLC                                   e-giving
connect2collaborate

 <http://www.yourbestinterestonline.com/> www.yourbestinterestonline.com,
<http://www.e-givingonline.com/> www.e-givingonline.com and
<http://www.connect2collaborate.com/> www.connect2collaborate.com

PO Box 320048  Fairfield, CT  06825-0048   phone 203.373.0875   efax
203.549.0406

 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/marchalpert> www.linkedin.com/in/marchalpert