[Fredslist] my LTTE: The War on Women

Tessa Marquis tmarquis at newstandardinstitute.com
Tue Feb 15 20:38:56 EST 2011

My Letter to the Editor

Posted on the Connecticut Post's Political Blog

http://blog.ctnews.com/kantrowitz/2011/02/15/the-war-on-women/

Tessa Marquis
Gotham New Haven
New Standard Institute, Inc.
84 Broad Street  |  Milford, CT 06460  |  USA
203.783.1582 x101
 <mailto:tmarquis at newstandardinstitute.com>
tmarquis at newstandardinstitute.com

The War on Women

The newly elected leaders in the House of Representatives have launched
cruel and inhumane assault on women's health care. They want to eliminate
Title X, which provides Planned Parenthood and hundreds of other community
clinics with funding for preventive care. Cutting this funding will
eliminate testing for STDs (currently at 25% for tested females between 18
and 29), legal and necessary birth control, and life saving cancer
screenings such as PAP tests.

I have a friend who is a well known, highly respected OB-GYN in Connecticut.
He has told me that his offices are quite often the primary care location
for patients. I referred a young friend to him on her first pregnancy and he
discovered a thyroid problem which needed to be resolved immediately. This
"first-responder" role seems to be the case in many OB-GYN offices and
clinics, and is especially important for women and girls with limited
resources for medical care.

Eliminating the national family planning program means women will lose
access to basic primary and preventive health care. Let's end the assault on
women's health and get back to fixing the American economy.