[Fredslist] FW: If you would like to help with relief efforts, there are a few options culled through latest news updates and mails

ritasue at ritasue.com ritasue at ritasue.com
Fri Jan 15 00:14:59 EST 2010

I returned from Haiti on 28 December.  My friends there told me that a big chunk of any donations of money, medicine or food are syphoned off by the people who run the country and very little of it gets to the people who need it.  (Actually, the photos in the news don't show much difference in P au P except for the fallen buildings.  It looked almost the same before the earthquake.  Lousy or non existent roads, and people living in the streets. It is tragic, yes, but probably the best thing that has happened to Haiti because maybe now they will have an infrastructure built. Sort of like the Marshall Plan after WW2 rebuilding the destroyed places in Europe.

I suggest donating to ArchitectureforHumanity.org.  They have volunteers from all over the world who build shelters, hospitals, schools, housing in places hit by the worst disasters. THey use found materials when possible and it there is nothing that can be syphoned off from their efforts. Almost all their donations go to doing their work and they do not spend money on advertising. Cameron Sinclair who runs the organization with a staff of 3, and has 40 chapters world wide is a commentator on Huff Po.

RS

RitaSue Siegel  | President, IDSA, AIGA, DMI, AIA |
RitaSue Siegel Resources | ritasue at ritasue.com
PO Box 845 | NY 10150 | mobile 917 806 3947
Free |2008 version | Getting a Design Job | http://www.ritasue.com/downloads/Get_a_Design_Job_2008.pdf

RitaSue Siegel | Vice President| West 54-55 Street Block Association
Coalition for Responsible Midtown Development
17 West 54 Street | NY 10019 | 917 806 3947 | ritasue at ritasue.com<mailto:ritasue at ritasue.com>
www.no2moma.com<http://www.no2moma.com/>

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/103594/debate-rises-over-proposed-midtown-skyscraper/Default.aspx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGJxmnugDys