[Fredslist] Nov 16 Gotham Charitable Forum Lunch - Special Guest

Lamal Law clamal at lamal-law.com
Thu Nov 5 17:12:19 EST 2009

The next Gotham Networking Charitable Forum lunch will be held on Monday,
Nov. 16 at the usual place (Friars Club), at the usual time (12:30) and at
the usual price ($45).

At our next luncheon we will have a special guest from Cristo Rey New York
High School, which was established in East Harlem just a couple years ago.
The NY Cristo Rey HS has a special mission of providing a college prep
education to poor Hispanic kids from the barrio, many of whom are being
lured or intimidated into joining gangs and dropping out of school.

A unique part of the Cristo Rey program is that all students work in
entry-level office jobs in teams to help subsidize their college preparatory
education and to give them an understanding of what it is like to work in an
office setting and to understand the responsibilities involved. You can find
out more about the program at www.cristoreyny.org/work_how.html

The NYC Cristo Rey HS   is modeled  after the original Cristo Rey HS in
Chicago, which was featured on a segment of "60 Minutes" some years ago.  I
spent an afternoon at the Chicago Cristo Rey HS a few years ago and met with
several teachers, administrators and students.  I was very impressed.

Register online at the Gotham website.  Or, if you are not a Gotham member,
bring a check and let me know you're coming so we have an accurate
headcount.

Chris

Christopher T. Lamal

Lamal Law Office