[Fredslist] ID Theft Risk Alert

Ester Horowitz witsowitz at verizon.net
Fri Mar 21 10:07:35 EDT 2014

Dear Gothamites

I performed an ID Theft seminar yesterday. In attendance was a high profile
figure that now works with charities under the NY State AG's office.  He
brought to light that many seniors and others are being approached by

Charities requesting to have their checks photographed and emailed to the
charty to process donations while the emotional desire is high.  I must
advise you that it is one thing to deposit checks via smart phones and
tablets into your own accounts, it's another

to take a pix of a check and send it to others.  The risk is not only to
your loss of identity, but the risk is high to cleaning out your accounts
swiftly.  Apparently telemarketers are targeting seniors on this one.

When we deposit checks into our account electronically by taking a picture
of our check, we at very least sign into a secure website.  There is some
risk for the convenience.  However simply taking pictures of checks and
sending them to

Others that are not well know asks for trouble.  50% of ID Theft and fraud
occurs from someone you know as well.  So the practice at best is
foolhearty.  Anyone involved in a charitable endeavor, please pass this
information on.

Please encourage the charity to create policies, procedures, and educate
their people not to encourage this practice.  Should it come to roost that a
legitimate charity did perform this type of donation and the donor becomes
compromised,

the charity is civilly and criminally on the hook for the fallout.

Warmest Regards

Ester Horowitz

516 318-8655