[Fredslist] 3D Movies and Stereoscopic Vision

Christopher Lamal clamal at lamal-law.com
Tue Mar 13 03:42:48 EDT 2012

Does anyone happen to know whether you need to have stereoscopic vision to
watch 3D movies?

I haven't been interested in seeing any of the 3D movies that have been
released in recent years but am now interested in maybe seeing "Hugo".  But
I don't have stereoscopic vision (i.e., I don't see 3D) and don't want to
waste my money to watch blurred images on a movie screen.  When I ask people
at the theatre, they have no idea what I'm talking about.  Those special
colored glasses that you had to wear to 3D movies back in the 60s don't
help.

BTW, people without stereoscopic vision have a very different visual
experience of the world than those who do, in ways we obviously can't
understand.  I always fail depth perception tests, but I am just as good as
anyone else in visually judging the length of a room or the distance of a
car, so I just don't "get" what it is I'm missing.  Because I had been told
by opthamologists that I would never see stereoscopically, I was very
surprised to read recently that there are in fact non-surgical
techniques/therapies that have been effective in training the brain in many
(even middle-aged) people who lacked 3D vision to see stereoscopically.

Thanks

Chris Lamal
_________________________

Christopher T. Lamal