[Fredslist] Ireland!

Lucas Meyer lucas at 5thstreetadvisors.com
Thu Jul 5 14:38:27 EDT 2012

Hello Along The Network,

A travel suggestion for those of you who love adventure, breathtakingly,
achingly beautiful scenery, charming towns/cities, the nicest people on
the planet, and wonderful food:  Ireland is the place to go.

This has got to be one of the least expensive places in Western Europe
and we traveled in relative style.  Here are some tips on
accommodations, food and getting around:

1.	We stayed at B&Bs, which are terrific and very affordable:  The
nicest ones we stayed in were all well-under $100/night which included a
breakfast that kept us sustained practically until dinnertime.  These
were fairly luxurious; less high-end ones can be had for half that price
and will still be more-than-fine.
2.	A simple, yet very satisfying, lunch is about $7/person
(probably less than it costs in New York).  Dinner at a very nice
restaurant set us back $60-70, including wine.
3.	Most sites/attractions charge very nominal entrance fees (like
$12 to see the most expensive thing-the Cliffs of Mohr).
4.	The only relatively expensive "thing" was the car, and to some
extent, the price of diesel fuel (most Irish cars are now diesel, which
gets about 30% better mileage than a comparable gasoline-powered model).
Fuel is a little over $7/gallon, but I figured that our car got
something like 40 mpg.
5.	I have no problem (well, after the first day, anyway) driving on
the left hand side of the road, but despite having learned to drive on a
manual shift, I will not drive one there.  An automatic car is about
double the price, which meant that it cost $500/week; I think we spent
about $200 on diesel fuel.
6.	Airfare:  My wife, who is very good at figuring out how to use
mileage, got us a bargain on tickets.

On the Irish people:  Unlike so many Europeans, they really like
Americans a lot.  When I inquired as to why that might be, I was told,
"Well, everyone here has someone in America, and it was you Americans
that somehow solved a seemingly intractable problem, and made peace.  So
we really are thankful to you for that."  Wow!  Lastly, their delicious
sense of humor (and especially irony) is legendary, and it's "on" all
the time.

If anyone has any questions or wants some specific recommendations, I'm
happy to be of help.

Lucas J. Meyer

5th Street Advisors, LLC

Registered Investment Advisor