[Fredslist] Information about gas for our cars

Sherry Rivera sherryrivera1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:25:52 EDT 2012

[image: EWG Logo]<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=9w7AOl%2BGyv0aMJg00izDxDL0UktAYvZT>[image:
Check out the EWG Guide to Safer
Fueling]<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=/7hhSM52X/EExDAtrImrRjL0UktAYvZT>

Dear Sherry ,

With the summer driving season nearing, I'm sure you're conscious of what
you're putting in your car or truck.

That's why we at the Environmental Working Group want to make sure you know
about upcoming changes at the pump. Late last year the Environmental
Protection Agency approved fuel with up to 15 percent ethanol for vehicles
manufactured after 2001. You may start seeing E15 at gas stations as early
as this summer. *This is not good news for consumers or the environment.*

Up to now, standard vehicle fuel, known as E10, has been capped at 10
percent corn ethanol and 90 percent gasoline.*But E15 is more corrosive and
runs hotter. It can void some vehicle warranties.* It has been shown to
cause severe damage to small engines like lawnmowers.

Fact is, E15 not only wreaks havoc on your engine, but also on the
environment. Higher amounts of corn ethanol in gas have been linked to
increased air pollution and lower gas mileage. Growing corn for ethanol
production increases use of pesticides and fertilizer, which pollute
streams, lakes and groundwater. Over-planting of corn destroys wildlife
habitat.

*To make sure you have all the information you need about E15, we've
published the EWG Guide to Safer
Fueling<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=K7pur0%2B7HhRZvxFW8v5dRjL0UktAYvZT>
* with:

   - *Information on gas pump
labels<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=/7I493oVzG1tUroZ/7NUojL0UktAYvZT>
   *
   - *A downloadable wallet guide to help you choose the best fuel for your
   engines<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2BI9gHrNLkukDZI5rKPvqITL0UktAYvZT>
   *
   - *Tips on saving money and reducing fuel
consumption<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=vU4oQ/6MkB6wNYu2H1N4zjL0UktAYvZT>
   *
   - *An ethanol fact
sheet<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZnX5Fy85RGj%2BatkIf2FBxDL0UktAYvZT>
   * and *information on ethanol-related
pollution<http://action.ewg.org/salsa/track.jsp?v=2&c=ReI9hYCEausRlhF4t0FLizL0UktAYvZT>
   *

I hope you find these tips and guides helpful when you fuel up. We're
committed to providing you with the information you need to make smarter
choices.

Sincerely,

Ken Cook
President, Environmental Working Group