[Fredslist] RE: Starry Eyed Young Attorney Seeking a way to Break into Criminal, Immigration or International Law!

Matthew JW. Smith msmith at entechserv.com
Tue Jun 15 17:31:23 EDT 2010

Hey Gotham!

I have a talented young attorney named Erin who is looking for a break
into Criminal Law...She is talented, lovely, charming and has been forced
to take a job doing menial document review.  I believe that Gotham will
come through and give her a brighter future then just doing menial work.
She doesn't believe me that I can change her life with just one email
but....hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!  We are going to prove her wrong aren't
we!  She is willing to work her way up from the bottom but would like
something that isn't dead end and has a future.  Where else could I go but
Gotham!

These are her own words about what she wants below...Thanks for all the
help and your expertise!

Let's go Gotham!

Thanks in advance!

Matt Smith

To be blunt, I am looking for a job with either a criminal defense agency
or a prosecutor's office, either at the local, state or federal level.  I
have applied at all the defense groups in the area, and have a resume with
the Kings District Attorney right now.  I have been told that I need at
least 2-3 years experience before being considered for an US Attorney
applicant.  I graduated in 2008.

I wouldn't mind learning immigration or international law, but my resume
does not reflect any experience in these areas.
My exposure to criminal law began during college at an internship with the
Sacramento County District Attorney's Office where I was immediately
captivated.  After my initial internship, I was hired as a senior student
intern to work specifically with the Prop. 36 attorney in monitoring
participant progress.  From this, I went to law school with criminal law
in mind.  Both summers during law school I volunteered at the San
Francisco Public Defender's Office in the felony department where I
performed research, interviewed clients, argued a motion to suppress,
conducted a preliminary hearing, and shadowed my supervisors on their
daily happenings.

During the school years, I worked for various criminal defense attorneys
and took criminal law related courses, such as Evidence Advocacy,
Scientific Evidence and Perspectives in Criminal Justice.  My resolve to
pursue criminal law was bolstered as I participated in mock trials, and
clinical work.  After taking the bar exam in California, I began working
in criminal law in Orange County, CA  and continued doing so until I moved
to New York for the February Bar Exam.  I continued to do contract work
for an attorney in San Diego on a RICO case while I look for work in New
York.  From my coursework and my work history, it is evident that I am
dedicated to pursuing criminal law.  Further, I am determined to return to
my beginnings as a prosecutor with the knowledge that I have gained during
my defense work thus far.  While each side that I have worked with has
shown me a favorable picture of their work, I find myself on the side of
prosecution in the search for truth and justice.

Matthew J.W. Smith
www.entechserv.com <http://www.entechserv.com/>
Director of Sales & Business Development
C: 917 597-9199
O: 646 278-7051
 <http://www.entechserv.com/>