[Fredslist] Yankee Family Loses Two Greats

David Bagatelle dbagatelle at heraldnb.com
Wed Jul 14 12:52:29 EDT 2010

Dear Gotham,

Having been a life long Yankee fan and a long time season ticket holder, I am greatly saddened by the loss of two Yankee greats, George M. Steinbrenner
 (aka "the Boss") and Bob Sheppard (aka "the Voice of God"). I feel like I have lost two members of my family. Although, both have not been around the team much the past several years and they have both had health issues, their presence was felt. It was always nice to see Mr. Steinbrenner at the occasional game he managed to make it to the past several years. As far as Mr. Sheppard is concerned, we remember him every Yankee home game when our Captain, Derek Jeter, comes to bat and we hear the subtle, understated announcement of Mr. Jeter's impending at bat announced via a recording of Mr. Sheppard. It
 gives me goose bumps every time!!!

Let's remember all the good things the two of them accomplished. Prior to Mr. Steinbrenner owning the Yankees, they were perennial losers. He restored the Team to past glory and made it perhaps the best, most well known sports team in the world. During Mr. Steinbrenner's ownership from 1973 to his death, the longest in club history, he brought to New York 11 pennants  and 7 World Series titles.

Bob Sheppard was the public address announcer for the Yankees from 1951 to 2007 (he was also the public address announcer for the football Giants from 1956 to 2006). In his time with the Yankees, Mr. Sheppard announced over 4,500 Major League Baseball games, seeing the team capture 22 American League pennants and 13 World Series championships.

Let's hope that there is room in Cooperstown for both of them.

David

David S. Bagatelle
President
Herald National Bank ®
623 Fifth Avenue, 11th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(p) 646-521-6211
(c) 646-408-1032
(f) 646-478-9696
(e) dbagatelle at heraldnb.com

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact