[Fredslist] Joel helps out a friend in Texas

Sergio Fernandez de Cordova sfdecordova at FUELOUTDOOR.COM
Thu Jan 7 15:41:12 EST 2010

I have written before about Joel's magic when it comes to anything in New York so I wasn't exactly sure what to do when a friend of mine in Texas was having a problem with the federal government.
Seems that there was legislation being introduced that would ban all "novelty lighters" the look like toys. He produces a line of lighters shaped like company logos or icons of tourist destinations and because of the inexact and ambiguous wording of the bill a wide range of lighters, products that do not in any way resemble toys or appeal to children, would be unintentionally banned as well and effectively kill his business, overnight!
Lo and behold, I had forgotten that that Joel had once served as Political Director for AIPAC, the pro-Israel lobby.

He put my friend in touch with his DC associate and today my friend will be meeting with key Senate and House offices to present reasonable alternative language and stave off disaster.

Thank you Joel,

Sergio A. Fernández de Córdova | EVP
Fuel Outdoor | Real Estate, Government Affairs and Legal
149 5th Avenue, 11th Floor | New York, NY 10010
Tel: +1 212 796-4190 | Fax: +1 212 967-7337
sfdecordova at FuelOutdoor.com<mailto:sfdecordova at FuelOutdoor.com> | http://www.fueloutdoor.com<http://www.fueloutdoor.com/>