[Fredslist] the Ed Koch/Queensboro Bridge

Joel Schnur joel at schnurassociates.com
Thu Dec 9 14:20:01 EST 2010

Dear Along the Network:

I worked in Ed's '77 mayoral campaign and after winning very competitive
primary, run off and general elections, we finally took office. I stayed
with him throughout all of his three administrations as a housing official
whom he would also lend to campaigns, on occasion.

Yesterday was his 86th birthday and, as usual,  all of the former "Kochites"
and many current government officials get together for this annual event at
Gracie Mansion. Last night was no exception except that the usual "pose with
the mayor" shot this year was everyone taking turns sitting next to Ed on
2-person couch. The years have begun to catch up with him, as well as with
many of us, as we strain to recognize some of the old timers or try to match
the name tags on people together with what we remember they once looked
like.

Edward I. Koch has always been a quintessential New Yorker and his
dedication to this city and its residents will always be a significant part
of the Big Apple's history. I am proud to have served under him and to
paraphrase Simon and Garfunkel, it was a groovy time.

Happy Birthday, Mr. Mayor!

All the best, all the time, to all of you.

Joel

___________________________

Joel Schnur

Senior VP