[Fredslist] Minds Matter of NYC: Volunteers Needed!

Michael Lord michael at mlordco.com
Mon Aug 9 15:24:40 EDT 2010

Dear Gotham:  I am including the following email on behalf of my colleague Andrew Gurman.  If you have questions, please contact him or the people identified below.

Dear All,

I have been involved in a mentoring organization for the last three years called Minds Matter, whose mission is to transform the lives of accomplished high school students from low-income families by broadening their dreams and preparing them for college success.  We need to find over 100 new people, and I need your help to recruit mentors, Test Prep teachers and Writing and Critical Thinking Consultants.  A brief description of each type of volunteer is included below.  Please forward this email on to your friends/colleagues/family to become a new addition to the Minds Matter Family.  We are actively recruiting and need your assistance.  Or please apply if you yourself are interested!

In your email, please include the application link: http://www.kintera.org/AutoGen/Contact/ContactUs.asp?ievent=428231&en=cuKVL7MKLkIRK0MPJjJOL0PRLoJ3KfMOLkIXK6PMLlI2LaMTIkJTI9NOLeJUIfP6H

Each potential volunteer needs to fill out an application on the link above.

Please contact Marilena Botoulas (mbotoulas at hotmail.com) or John Daly (john.daly at bbh.com) with any questions or check out the Minds Matter website at www.mindsmatter.org.

Thank you in advance!

Best wishes,
Andrew Gurman

Andrew Gurman, Esq. | Managing Director | Michael Lord & Company
245 Fifth Avenue, Suite 901 | New York, NY 10016
Phone: 646-258-2476 | Fax: 646-390-8466
andrew at mlordco.com | www.mlordco.com
Member, National Association of Legal Search Consultants (NALSC)

Mentors: 3-4hrs/week, September through May

We pair two mentors with each student to work for two hours every Saturday alongside other mentor/mentee pairs on essays, summer prep program selection, and school selection. Mentors are required to be college graduates, attend at least three Saturday sessions a month, and undergo a background check. Our weekly sessions are structured and we also have a lot of fun mentor/mentee outings and volunteer-only get-togethers throughout the year, giving ample opportunity to get to know your mentee as well as other volunteers.

Test Prep Instructors:  2-4hrs/week, October through May

Test Prep Instructors are trained to guide students through a structured weekly curriculum that helps elevate students' PSAT and SAT scores.  Test Prep SAT sessions take place weekly on Saturdays from November through May while Test Prep PSAT sessions take place weekly on Saturdays from February through May.

Writing & Critical Thinking Consultants:

Typical Writing & Critical Thinking Consultants have a professional or academic (graduate or above) focus in writing.  Each volunteer is grouped with students in a structured program to help take the students' writing skills from the basic to the intermediate and advanced levels.  In addition to meeting with sophomores on a weekly basis, these volunteers also review weekly essay assignments and participate in the review of summer program and college applications for students in the Junior and Senior Programs.