[Fredslist] (Promo) ROT

Adrian Miller amiller at adrianmiller.com
Tue Mar 10 13:57:44 EDT 2009

Don’t You Want ROT (Return On Time)?

Business owners and accountants are constantly crunching numbers to
determine their company’s return on investment (ROI). For many
salespeople, this general accounting concept can be somewhat foreign.
But, instead of ROI, ROT should be at the forefront of their minds.
What is ROT? It’s short for ‘return on time’ and it’s a figure that
must be considered with every customer contact and connection.

As salespeople, we all figure out ROT naturally in our heads each and
every day. It’s just part of what we do. Prospects who quickly
convert into customers have better ROT than those that require major
amounts of hand-holding through the sales process. Customers who
reorder without repeated reminders and follow-ups have more desirable
ROTs than those who you end of calling over and over again for a
sale. The concept isn’t difficult to understand.

However, the aspect that is often overlooked is our own role in
improving our personal return on time. Yes, we all play a role in
this rate. How we follow-up and follow-through directly affects our
ROT for every customer and prospect. Simply put, if you’re not taking
the opportunities to stay connected with those who are buying or
might be buying from you, you will never be in the position to get
any return on your time.

Simple strategies for improving your ROT

Research and Ask the Right Questions
Finding out about a potential customer early in the sales process
provides ample ROT. The more you know upfront and the more you can
gather directly from them before you invest hours of your time on
presentations and sales calls will help you tremendously with fine-
tuning your message and making a sale.

Be a Resource
Your ROT will diminish as more and more vendors appear on your
prospects/clients radar. Don’t be “just another salesperson” who is
trying to make a sale. Instead, invest in the time to become a
trusted resource for information. By adding this to what you have to
offer, sales come quickly as a natural part of your business
relationships.

Cross Sell and Up Sell
Cross selling and up selling both provide better ROT than always
chasing after new business. Look for opportunities within the
organizations that you’re already selling to and probe for new
avenues for making sales.

Don’t Stop
Finally, don’t stop once you you’ve made a sale. A little time
investment will demonstrate that you are still attentive and
available for when your customer wants to purchase again. You will
always have the best ROT for those who become loyal, repeat customers.

Adrian Miller Sales Training
516-767-9288
516-445-1135 (cell)
www.adrianmiller.com
http://www.adrianmiller.com/blog/

Join Adrian's Network
http://www.adriansnetwork.com

Follow me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/amst

Connect to me on Linkedin:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/amillersalestraining

See my book: The Blatant Truth: 50 Ways to Sales Success" at
http://www.theblatanttruth.com/

"What if we train them and they leave? What if we don't train them
and they stay?"