[Fredslist] Volunteering suggestions shared

Priscilla Stephan pstephan5656 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 08:50:57 EST 2009

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share the responses I received for any of you who might also be considering volunteering this year.  See below.
Best,
Priscilla

VOLUNTEERING SUGGESTIONS

Gothamite, Anne Bonfiglio. She has started a great program to help minority kids overlooked in the system get into college.

Phillip

Foundling Hospital in the city. Also, Big Brothers/Big SIsters org.

Priscilla,
Where do you live, work??? What is your greatest passion?
Mine is children... I am involved with over 30 LI based charities. My concentration this year is Children's Cancer Center, Autism and the Ronald McDonald House.
HOW CAN I HELP YOU TO HELP OTHERS ?
MArvin

This is exactly why Gothamites Heidi Simon, Adrian Miller, Rob Levin and Kathy Canfield (and I) created www.GiveYourTime.org.

Its purpose is to match individuals that want to volunteer their time with the charitable organizations that need them.
The current site will be greatly expanded when we receive (soon) our 501 c 3 status.
Scott Bloom - Blackberry # 917-327-2109
Priscilla,

My friend Mina Song is the general counsel for Safe Horizons. Check them out. They work with battered women in the city. If you are interested, I'll send you her number. (Bari, Zahn)
212.577.7700 ask to speak with Mina Song

Try LSSNY. They are involved with many of the things you listed. I sit on the Board. Speak to Jacqueline Alexander. 212 870 1100.
 Food Bank of New York : http://www.foodbanknyc.org/go/how-you-can-help
Insights: http://www.insight-online.com/unitedstates/seccion.asp?pid=102&sid=5179
The Rotary Club: www.rotary.org
New York Presbyterian Hospital

You might want to consider working with the Taproot Foundation who put together project teams of volunteer professionals to work on projects for non-profits.  I worked on a project with them and it was a great experience and great use of my skills.

http://www.taprootfoundation.org/

Good luck,

Paul