[Fredslist] Scarsdale Mom

Ken Jewell ken.jewell at kjlaw.net
Fri Apr 24 18:40:09 EDT 2009

I'm a little troubled by what I hear.  I also stand-corrected about
believing this occurred in the dark.  I also apologize for not saying what
the NY Times reported yesterday that the 12 year old ran back into the car
before the Ms. Primoff was able to drive off yet nevertheless left the 10
year old on the side of the road where a Good Samaritan bought the kid an
ice cream cone and took her to the police.  We can only imagine if Mr. Good
Samaritan was the village pervert.

While I can understand and respect the position and frustration that parents
are in under these circumstances, the fact remains that in New York (as well
as many other states), the law says that the children's interest come first.
We call it the "best interests of the child standard".  In the end, the
decision as to what to do in these situations rests on the parent dealing
with it.  However, I ask that you keep in mind that no matter how
"deserving" you believe a child is of a certain kind of punishment,
understand that the law is the law.  If you let your frustrations get the
better of you, you may find yourself needing my services or worse - one
provided by a criminal lawyer.

And don't think that in a divorce action, that spouse who you pledged your
eternal love and devotion to is now telling his or her lawyer about how you
smacked the kid or left him or her on the side of the road the issue of your
marriage.  If child abuse services wasn't called into the picture, the
forensic evaluator appointed by the court will.  They investigate your and
your spouse's parenting styles after interviewing you, your spouse and the
kids.  Then comes the report which the judge uses the same to make a
determination as to who the more fit parent is.  You can figure on $5K for
the report.  And you can also think about how much you will be paying your
lawyer to defend all of this.

So in the end, I ask all of you who think this is psychobabble, over-zealous
law enforcement as well as political nonsense, since we are looking at this
from the parents perspective - both male and female: Do you think venting
your frustration this way and allowing yourself to snap over two kids
fighting in the back seat worth it?  And how about the embarrassment that
Ms. Primoff has, since Sunday, and will for the foreseeable future have to
deal with?

In the end, whether we look at it from the spoiled brat's perspective or the
overburdened parent's, you may have a defense, but you sure as heck don't
have an excuse.

Ken Jewell, Esq.

The Lincoln Building

60 East 42nd Street, Suite 449

New York, New York 10165-0451

(V) + 212.807.5528

(M) + 917.608.5875

(F) + 212.721.9146

Confidentiality Notice:  This message is being sent by or on behalf of an
attorney.  It is intended exclusively for the person or entity to which it
is addressed.  This communication may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from
disclosure.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it.  If
immediately by e-mail and delete all copies of the message.

Circular 230 Disclosure Notice:  Pursuant to the U.S. Treasury Department's
rules governing tax practice, pleased be advised that any advice contained
herein (including in any attachment) has not been written nor is it intended
to be used, not can it be used, for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax
penalty nor with promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any
transaction or matter addressed herein.

  _____