[Fredslist] Buying a puppy on the Internet

Catherine Carlisi Catherine at visionary-leadership.com
Sat Oct 25 12:50:09 EDT 2008

I've been involved in dog breeding and showing since I was in my 20's, and the Internet is a great marketing vehicle, but also raises a new level of risk in puppy purchases because often it's not feasible to visit the site and see the conditions, sire and dam, and puppies before purchase. I know people who've done well with online purchases, and people who have been burned.

There are many reputable breeders who use the Internet, of course, but it's also easy to create a great web site that masks a "puppy mill." Puppy mills often raise multiple (pricey and popular) breeds, use substandard breeding stock and don't always take care of their animals or socialize puppies as they should.

If you don't know anyone personally to ask, the best route is to call a few Havanese breeders and ask them about their own dogs and other breeders they'd recommend. In fact, you can call around for references from other breeders about your Internet options, too. In many ways, the world of dog breeding is a small one and reputable breeders will be glad to make recommendations, even if you end up choosing another source.

I've sent a request out about good Havanese breeders to Afghan Hound breeders I know (my favorite breed). I'll let you know when I hear back from them. You're wise to investigate carefully before committing - it's time well spent that can save expenses and heartache.

Catherine Carlisi
Visionary Leadership, LLC
(860) 844-0076 (CT)
(866) 285-6123 (toll free)