[Fredslist] Friar's Roast of Matt Lauer

David Henry dhenry at telenoticiasusa.com
Sat Oct 25 08:15:41 EDT 2008

I've wanted to go to one of these roasts since becoming a member of Gotham
and realizing we had a connection to the Friars.  When the notice went out
that it was going to be for Matt Lauer, I knew I had to go.  I work in the
PR business and realized this was a must see.  I also decided it would be a
great event for me to take a client, which I did.

When I bought the tickets I asked Fred where the tables were and he said
"towards the back".  Fortunately for us, we really weren't towards the back,
we were just about midway back and had a great view of the dais.  I was
amazed at how many people there were attending (I think around 1,900) and
the size of the dias (somewhere between 40-50 people).  The introductions of
the dais seemed to take forever.  Interestingly, Fred was seated next to
Omorosa (of The Apprentice).  I don't think he knew who she was.and I don't
still know why she would be on the dais.

Fred came over right before it started and said "this will be a once in a
lifetime experience."  He was absolutely right!

Because of Matt's stature and celebrity, it brought out many to celebrate
and roast him.  Some of those on the dais were (in no particular order),
Meredith Viera, Al Roker (the roastmaster), Ann Curry,  Jeff Zucker (head of
NBC), Brian Williams, Katie Couric, Martha Stewart, Donald Trump, Bob
Costas, Jim Cramer, Dominic Cianese, Clive Davis, Neil Simon, Abe Vigoda
(yes, he's still alive!), Aretha Franklin, James Lipton, Dara Torres,
Vincent Pastore, Bob Sagat, Jeff Ross, Richard Belzer, Pat Cooper, Gilbert
Godfried, Mario Lopez, and of course, our fearless leader Fred Klein.

After a few video intros, the lights came up and surprise guest Tom Cruise
walked onto the stage.  He was quite funny and self deprecating.  The roast
was mostly what I expected, having seen several on TV and YouTube.  It may
have been a little more tame, given the honoree and the guests in
attendance, but it was at times, as raunchy as you'd expect.

You'd expect the professional comedians to be funny, I think Jeff Ross was
probably the best of that bunch (some of the pros, not as funny!).  But some
of non-comedians where just as funny if not more.  Surprises were Brian
Williams, Jeff Zucker and Meredith Vieira.  And finally, when Matt Spoke, he
was quite funny as well.

It was a fun lunch.or afternoon as it turned out.  There were many
Gothamites in attendance.  My client had a great time and couldn't thank me
enough for bringing him.  All in all.a great afternoon!

David P. Henry

President & CEO

TeleNoticias / NovoMedia

212-683-6000