[Fredslist] Bernard A. Krooks Elected President of Special Needs Alliance

Jack Halpern jhalpern at myelderadvocate.com
Wed Oct 22 17:41:28 EDT 2008

Congratulations to Gothamite Bernard Krooks. Well deserved!

TUCSON, Ariz., Oct 22, 2008 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- New York
attorney Bernard A. Krooks has been elected president of the Special
Needs Alliance (SNA), the organization announced during its fall
meeting at St. Pete Beach, Florida. He succeeds President Andrew Hook,
the Virginia attorney who served in the position since October of
2007. Krooks has served as chairman of the SNA Marketing Committee for
the past year.

Relying upon the strengths of Hook's administration and broadening
national awareness of the SNA are at the core of Krooks' 2009 agenda.
"I do not want the SNA to remain the world's best kept secret," Krooks
said. "People need to know of us and recognize us as a resource for
individuals and advocates in the disability community."
Krooks plans to build on the SNA's growing reputation as a vocal
advocate on a wide range of special needs issues -- not simply public
benefits and disability law. He points specifically to the SNA's
Public Policy Committee, seated earlier this year to address
legislation and regulations impacting the special needs community.
"We will be active participants in legislation aimed at special needs
matters," Krooks said. "We will be present when these issues are being
discussed and debated."
President Krooks aims to lead a local initiative to arm Alliance
members with the confidence to weigh in on issues falling outside of
law.
"We need to become more vocal -- and be more active participants -- at
the local level with disability organizations: participating in
awareness events and fundraisers, speaking to more disability groups,
and volunteering our time. It will be my responsibility to energize
the members to engage in these activities."
A founding partner of Littman Krooks LLP, President Krooks operates
offices in New York City, White Plains and Fishkill, New York. He is
past president of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and an
adjunct assistant professor at the New York University Center for
Finance, Law and Taxation.
Krooks has been widely quoted as an expert on the topics of special
needs and estate planning both locally and nationally, and speaks
frequently on these topics across the United States. He is an active
member of numerous committees and boards, and coaches youth soccer and
baseball.
The SNA Board of Directors also saw changes during the fall meeting,
designed to streamline leadership and better prepare future SNA
presidents:

Jack Halpern, CEO
My Elder Advocate
jhalpern at myelderadvocate.com