[Fredslist] the power of gotham

Gail Blasie blaze at cal.net
Wed Oct 1 06:24:22 EDT 2008

Dear All:

Many, many thanks to Scott Klein who pulled out all the stops and helped my sister get a much quicker appointment at Winthrop for a biopsy.  As you might remember, around Labor Day my sister's mammo showed something suspect.  I put out the call to fredslist asking for doctor info and help in getting her a biopsy sooner than later.

Scott put my sister in touch with someone who runs a nonprofit, Jay's World.  Jay's World helps children fighting cancer.  (See below.)  Scott's friend has been incredibly helpful, pointing us in the right direction, and generally been an angel.  My sister is so pleased with the help she is getting at Winthrop.  We have no diagnosis yet, but we remain hopeful.

The power of gotham and caring.

I can't thank you all enough.  I had so many calls and offers of help.  Happy New Year to all.

And if you have a nonprofit you would like to contribute to, Jay's World puts its money to good use!  (See below.)

thankfully, gail blasie

JAY'S WORLD FOUNDATION DEDICATION COMPLETES THE JAY'S WORLD CHILDREN'S CANCER UNIT AT WINTHROP-UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL
Mineola, NY - In an extraordinary demonstration of support and compassion, the Jay's World Childhood Cancer Foundation, Inc., recently dedicated the fifth room of the Jay's World Children's Cancer Unit at Winthrop-University Hospital.

The Jay's World Foundation was created by Ralph and Mary Ann Napolitano in 1994, after their son Jason ("Jay") was confronted with the diagnosis of leukemia and the fight of his life when he was just 14 years old. Since that time, Jay's World has contributed nearly $600,000 to Winthrop-University Hospital to help create a world-class unit for pediatric oncology patients and their families. In addition, the Foundation funded the CBC Laboratory at Winthrop's Cancer Center for Kids.

"It is our goal to see that all that can be done is being done, and that no child succumbs to the disease due to a lack of support," says Mary Ann Napolitano. "This is our pledge and to this end we are committed."

Jason - who is now 27 years old - battled mightily for three and a half years, sometimes being hospitalized for months at a time. "I told God that if He would help my child, I would find a way to help other children," Mary Ann remembers.

Once Jason beat the disease under the care of Dr. Mark Weinblatt, Chief of the Division of Pediatric Oncology/Hematology and Director of Winthrop's Cancer Center for Kids, the family made a steadfast commitment to assisting children and families who are facing the extraordinarily difficult challenges that the Napolitano family once faced. The mission of the Jay's World Childhood Cancer Foundation, Inc. is to raise funds to benefit children and help support the fight against childhood cancer. In addition to supporting clinical programs for pediatric oncology at Winthrop, the Foundation awards scholarships each year to children who have or had cancer and are continuing on to college.

The Jay's World Children's Cancer Unit at Winthrop's Hagedorn Pediatric Inpatient Center consists of five uniquely appointed rooms with state-of-the-art air filtration systems for patients with challenged immune systems. In addition, the private rooms are bright and cheerful, and include sleeping accommodations for parents.

"When children are admitted to the hospital for cancer treatment or for complications, they need rooms that are designed with the pediatric oncology patient in mind," said Mr. Napolitano. "Having access to these specially equipped rooms means less anxiety for the children and their parents."

Added Mr. Napolitano, "Jay's World is proud to be affiliated with such a wonderful hospital. Winthrop puts patient care above everything else."

For more information about pediatric oncology at Winthrop call
1-866-WINTHROP or visit www.winthrop.org. For more about Jay's WorldChildhood Cancer Foundation call (516) 297-5328.

In 2006 the Jays World Childhood Cancer Scholarship program awarded $68,000 in scholarship money to eight graduating high school seniors from all over the greater New York area.

We will be donating $100,000 in December 2006 to fund the rooms at Winthrop University Hospital.

Gail M. Blasie, P.C.
Attorney at Law
1134 Lake Shore Drive
Massapequa Park, NY  11762
phone:  (516) 457-9169
fax:  (516) 804-8219
http://www.blasielaw.com

Notice: This e-mail and any attachments may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information intended only for the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments and destroy any printouts.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: Under regulations issued by the U.S. Treasury, to the extent that tax advice is contained in this correspondence (or any attachment hereto), you are advised that such tax advice is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used by you, or any party to whom this correspondence is shown, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending the tax advice addressed herein to any other party.