[Fredslist] Inaugural

Gerald Goldhaber geraldgoldhaber at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 13:32:51 EST 2008

Gothamites:  Since so many of you are interested in going to the Obama Inaugural, I thought I would share with you my experience in attending three prior inaugurals.  First, to get tickets to anything, you must have a prior relationship with either your Congressman or the local Democratic Party Chair Person who actually assembles the list of invited guests.  Invited guests are then given tickets (either close-up, within the first 50,000 people at the Capitol or general tickets which puts you with 300,000 people).   Those tickets (usually 2/person) are free.  Tickets to all other events, if even offered to you, depending on your "prior" relationship (donor, vendor, friend, family, etc.) all will cost money.  E.G. parade tix usually cost upwards of $250-500/ticket, depending on your location; ball tix can cost upwards of $1000 or more/ticket just for entrance to a ballroom where people all stand close to the stage for 1-3 hours waiting for the Pres.
 to appear for a 3 minute dance with his wife (then everyone leaves...and there's no food and drinks are all extra...and no chairs unless you spend upwards of $5000-10,000 for a booth with 6-8 chairs and one bottle of liquor).  Other events such as the gala (a concert hall variety show), cocktail parties, etc. all cost from $500/ticket and up, depending on seats, location, etc.  Be prepared for lines everywhere (e.g., at one "exclusive cocktail party", we waited in line for 2 hours, were served hors d'oerves in line while the line moved and spent 10 minutes actually in the room with the V.P. while he spoke and then we were all ushered out the room very abruptly.  Hote;s om D.C., if you can get a room, all require a minimum of 3-4 nights for the package and can cost upwards of $500-750/night, depending on how close to D.C. you are.  And, don't forget, this is Jan.20 and it could be very cold in D.C.  We had the most fun in the hotel lobby just
 looking at celebrities and going to the Taste of the U.S.A. food event where great chefs from each state cooked great food to sample (for about $250/person...to benefit the homeless).   HAVE FUN!!!   Gerry
 Gerald M. Goldhaber, Ph.D.
President and CEO
GRA, LLC
800 6th Avenue, Suite 26G