[Fredslist] Another LinkedIn story

jeff n jeffnosanov at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 11:59:12 EST 2008

I have been interested in getting my foot in the door at Google for years, mostly because of all the mystery and magic surrounding their engineering hiring process. (I am not an engineer, but I am curious.) I found a Google recruiter (each department has one) on LinkedIn that had worked with a friend of mine. She was only one "link" away from me, and we had never met.

With no appointment or even the knowledge that the target was at the office that day,  I walked right in to the Google office in Santa Monica, California, resume in hand, and spoke to the receptionist. She ignored me and was ready to send me on my way (as Google NYC Office receptionist had done) until I mentioned "LinkedIn."

The recruiter in question came out to meet me, and while wary at first, was eventually glad to meet me and talk with me about the Google hiring process.

Moral of the story: a LinkedIn connection helped me get very valuable information about one of the most secretive hiring processes in business today. If anyone wants help getting set up on LinkedIn, email me and I would be happy to explain it over the phone at a mutually convenient time.

Take care,
Jeff