[Fredslist] {Promo} - The lost customer

Randi Busse randi at workdevgroup.com
Fri Jul 18 20:11:43 EDT 2008

If you have customers, you'll want to read this article.

http://libn.com/article.htm?articleID=42921

I welcome your feedback.

Please contact me if you are interested in finding out what kind of service
you are providing to YOUR customers, as well as how to improve it.

Randi

Randi Busse
Workforce Development Group, Inc.
www.workdevgroup.com
randi at workdevgroup.com
Tel: 631-598-5598 Fax: 631-598-1988
Partnering with you to turn your customers into raving fans!

The lost customer

By Randi Busse

Friday, July 11, 2008

Dear Business Owner,

I am in need of the product or service that you offer. I already know that.
I called you or came into your business because I know you have what I want.
I don't have to be sold. But I can change my mind and decide to buy the
product or service from someone else. See, you're not the only game in town.
Actually, you probably have many competitors. And their product or service
is, in all probability, very similar to yours. The price is likely
comparable as well. So why should I buy it from you instead of "Joe down the
street?"

What happened when I called you on the phone? The person who answered
sounded like I was bothering them. They didn't sound happy that I was
calling to do business with your company. And, come to think of it, they
were downright rude to me.

When I came into your business or store, I wasn't acknowledged or greeted by
anyone. As a matter of fact, the two employees behind the counter were
actually standing around talking to each other about the movie that they saw
last night. They didn't even glance my way. When they finally did look at
me, their lack of interest in me and what I was looking for was apparent. I
asked where a particular product was and they pointed to an area "over
there."

Neither of those situations made me feel all warm and fuzzy, and certainly
not important.

Now, there is a lot of talk about a recession and people not spending money.
I'll tell you what, me not spending money on your product or service has
nothing to do with how much money I have in my pocket, which by the way, is
plenty. Instead, it has to do with how you treated me when I wanted to buy
what you were selling, but I didn't get the feeling that anyone was
interested in helping me to do that.

My advice to you? When you hire a new employee, before you teach them about
your products and services, how much they cost, how to ring them up and
where the shipping department is, teach them that customers are the most
important part of your business. Teach them how to treat them and how to
make them feel important.

Let me know when that happens, and maybe I'll come back. Unless, of course,
"Joe down the street" has already done that.

signed,
Your former customer

Randi Busse is president of Workforce Development Group Inc., a customer
service coaching and training organization located in Amityville.

 <http://www.workdevgroup.com> www.workdevgroup.com
 <mailto:randi at workdevgroup.com> randi at workdevgroup.com