[Fredslist] getting rid of data

Adrian Miller amiller at adrianmiller.com
Tue Jul 8 17:16:14 EDT 2008

Hi folks:  Looks like there are quite a few people out there with the
same problem. Here are the responses so far and I will send a follow-
up if there are additional replies. Personally, I like the idea of
hitting it with a hammer. I mean, when our computers are giving us
problems, don't we all yearn for the moment when we can throw it out
the window or hit it with a hammer. Maybe we can have a Gotham party
around that theme?

There were many folks that pointed me to Raj and then Raj pointed me/
us to someone else.
And so it goes.

Here's to happy data destruction.

1) Raj:  The best solution is NOT to strip the drives.  No software
can ever truly overwrite data....and it takes hours or days to do
sufficient overwrites.

   I recommend pulling them out and having a company shred them.

    Contact Matt Skidell at eScrap Destruction (631) 348-8801.

2) David Bishop:  Well, my first choice, if you don’t need the
drive, is a hammer and drill.  Use the hammer to break the case and
drill some holes in the platters of the drive.  Seriously, this is
the most effective way to kill a drive (it’s what the commercial
places do).  It’s also lots of fun.

If you need the drive, format it a couple of times using the startup
CD from any version of Windows.  Just follow the instructions.  Then
when you are done with that, Google “DOD Erase” and choose one of
the many free utilities that are out there.  The Department Of
Defense has strict rules for data erasure that ensures that it can’t
be recovered.  I have used a tool called HDD Erase successfully
(http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml).

3) Max Dobens:  Adrian, get a large magnet and leave it next to the
hard drive for a few minutes.  That will do the trick.

4) Matt Silver:  Please call my dear friend Nick at E- Solutions
631-231-7362

5) Evan Bloom:  Matt Skidell
		e-Scrap Destruction
		work	631-348-8801
		mobile	516-398-4600
		work fax	631-348-6688
		work	mskidell at escrapdestruction.com
		home page	http://www.escrapdestruction.com
		work	4 Oval Drive
		Islandia NY 11749
		United States of America

6) Scott Bloom's contact:  If you’re talking about one or two
PC’s, the best software solution out there is BLANCCO
(www.blancco.com).  It will provide you with a full report of all
data destroyed; and will also alert you if the drive is not fully
functional (i.e. will not complete the wiping process).  Also, it
will wipe out the operating system (Windows) if you intended on
giving the computers to charity or a child.
My company gets involved when there are larger lots of PC’s and
servers; where wiping is not sufficient and physical destruction
(shredding) of the hard drives is required.

Leigh Lanzet
Director - Business Development

MI SECURE, LLC
"Providing the standard in the
destruction of electronic media"
701 Penhorn Avenue, Bldg 1
Secaucus, NJ 07094
201.223.0072 OFC
201.714.2303 DID
914.419.3954 MOB
AIM: MorgenLL
www.misecurellc.com

7) Katalin Goencz:  Open your computer, take out the hard drive and
destroy it.   Simple and guaranteed result.

Adrian Miller Sales Training
516-767-9288
516-445-1135 (cell)
www.adrianmiller.com
http://www.adrianmiller.com/blog/

http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Adrian_Miller

See my book: The Blatant Truth: 50 Ways to Sales Success" at
http://www.theblatanttruth.com/

"What if we train them and they leave? What if we don't train them
and they stay?"