[Fredslist] How to Be a Mentor without Realizing It

Linda R Newman lindarnewman at verizon.net
Wed Dec 17 16:06:49 EST 2008

Good Afternoon Along the Network,

As many of you know, Gotham has a Mentoring program that is in the process
of being revitalized.  You have heard mention of it at meetings, some of you
have participated in the past and others are active in Mentoring
relationships in other organizations.

Are you aware you can be mentoring someone without realizing it?  Before you
brush this comment aside, let me tell you about an experience I had today
with someone I know for 14+ years.

This woman ignored her bosses orders and went to the President and CEO of
the organization because she had an urgent call for her a boss and he was in
an urgent meeting.  The CEO was in the same meeting.  When she didn't get
her boss, she called the  CEO on his cell phone and he handed the call over
to her boss who was unhappy about the situation to say the least.

That's not a particularly incredible story.  Many assistants would make the
same judgment call.

Here is the amazing part.  The urgent call turned out to be a famous person
with many connections and he was so happy at the service he received from
the Assistant that he invited her to his restaurant.  In addition, he told
the Assistant that anything the non-profit needed, entertainment, food,
donations, etc., he would help provide.

As if that weren't enough, this woman then sends me an e-mail thanking me
for being her mentor.  I said I wasn't aware that I was.  She then said that
she always listens to my advice and thinks of me as a big sister and that
she never would have had the assertiveness to go over her boss' head without
my mentoring her.  I am still amazed.

Something for us all to think about when our Fearless Leader, the Mentoring
Committee and your GC approach you about being a Mentor or a Mentee.

Hilary said it takes a village and there are some villages that have less
population than Gotham.

You might be a Secret Mentor too.  Why not let everyone know?

Best,

Queenie

GC, Real Estate

Linda R. Newman