[Fredslist] Fwd: Seth's Blog : Selling ideas to a big company

Adrian Miller amiller at adrianmiller.com
Mon Dec 15 08:23:14 EST 2008

Seth Godin is a marketing rock star.
This blog post may very well be useful for some Gothamites.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Seth Godin <blogmailfromseth at yahoo.com>
> Date: December 15, 2008 8:11:48 AM EST
> To: amiller <amiller at adrianmiller.com>
> Subject: Seth's Blog : Selling ideas to a big company
>
> [You're getting this note because you subscribed to Seth Godin's
> blog.]
>
> Selling ideas to a big company
>
> I have been selling ideas for a long time, and decided to become a
> book packager (which I did before doing what I do now) solely
> because it's an industry that makes it possible to sell ideas.
>
> One project took more than five years (selling Stanley Kaplan on
> creating a line of test prep books, finding a publisher and then
> creating them and launching the series) and one book took a day to
> invent, a day to sell and three days to write. I learned a lot of
> lessons the hard way--I got 900 rejection letters my first year and
> sold exactly one project.
>
> Two things have to happen before a big company buys your idea:
>
> 1. They have to be in the business of buying ideas.
>
> The book business buys ideas. The toy industry does, but only
> through a tiny number of agents. The car industry... hardly ever.
> Apple doesn't buy ideas, but they don't mind stealing them.
>
> A company that likes buying ideas has a process. They make it
> relatively straightforward and they have no upside in stealing from
> you. A company that isn't in that business puts up barriers. They
> troll around trade shows looking for ideas to take (and there's
> nothing legally or morally wrong with that, imho).
>
> Years ago, I invented the first fax board for the Mac. Our plan was
> to build a prototype and then sell the rights to one of the many
> Mac peripheral companies. The experience was eye opening. We talked
> with more than a dozen companies and had meetings with more than
> six. Some companies were clearly professionals at this, others were
> just fumbling in the dark.
>
> I also invented a version of the wireless music player (sort of a
> precessor of the Sonos). We spent a lot of money and built a
> prototype and brought it to various hi-fi companies to license. One
> of the first stops was Polk Audio, a leading speaker company with
> direct mail experience looking for growth. It seemed a perfect fit.
>
> We had a nice meeting, but I was sure we were out of luck before it
> started. To get to their offices, we had to walk through the
> factory. Polk is basically a furniture company that makes speakers.
> The entire culture was focused on cutting wood and shaping it into
> speakers. They had no experience or desire to make an electronic
> device off shore and market it.
>
> Short summary: if you have an idea for a company that doesn't know
> how to buy it, move on. And if you want to be in the business of
> selling ideas, find an industry that has experience buying those
> ideas.
>
> 2. They have to trust you
>
> This is far bigger than it sounds. Venture capitalists, for
> [...]

Adrian Miller Sales Training
516-767-9288
516-445-1135 (cell)
www.adrianmiller.com
http://www.adrianmiller.com/blog/

http://www.askadrianmiller.com/

www.mysalesquestion.com/

See my book: The Blatant Truth: 50 Ways to Sales Success" at
http://www.theblatanttruth.com/

Follow me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/amst

"What if we train them and they leave? What if we don't train them
and they stay?"