[Fredslist] RE: Help Kids with HIV Before Labor Day Weekend, Please

Zahn, Bari bzahn at torys.com
Fri Aug 29 15:37:04 EDT 2008

Dear Elizabeth,

I am touched and inspired by your email.  Thank you for your support.  I
was not expecting this and I am truly grateful.

Dear Gotham Members,

Anyone who hasn't seen the NY Times Article this Thursday on HIV
infections, please take a look:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/health/research/28hiv.html

The stats are shocking.  According to the Department of Health and
Mental Hygiene, HIV infection in NYC is 3x higher than the national
rate.

As many of you know, HIV positive youth participate in our HIV/AIDS
education programs, supporting us in our goal to keep our youth healthy
and HIV negative.  These young people, who have been willing to "come
out" about their HIV positive status are trailblazers when it comes to
breaking down discrimination and stigma towards other youth (and all
people) who live each day with the virus.

So thank you Elizabeth, Scott Bloom, Sharon Rychlik and every other
Gotham Member who has graciously found it in there hearts to heed my
call and make a  $20 (or more) donation over the last two weeks.  As
Elizabeth, I too lost at least 1/3 of my address book, including my
uncle, Wayne Fischer at age 39 in whose memory Living Beyond Belief was
founded.  He was the first NYC teacher to publicly disclose that he was
HIV positive and he would have been saddened to know that so many youth
are still becoming infected at increasing rates.

If you haven't made a donation already, it's not to late.  And of
course, although an added bonus, we will offer free admission to our BB
King Fall fundraiser with every $20 donation made by 11:59 this evening.

Let's create a miracle Gotham

Much Gratitude,
Bari

PS Wonderful weekend to all!