[Fredslist] New York Says Thank You

HSS hsilvers at chicagogsb.edu
Fri Aug 3 10:14:26 EDT 2007

Gotham,

The below note is from a colleague, so "I" doesn't really mean me.  That said, I thought this sounded like a really neat organization.

Harry

I am involved with an amazing volunteer organization that as a way to say thank you for all the support New York received after 9/11 helps people in communities in America.  We have an urgent need to raise $15,000 by Monday to support this year’s event and could use your help.  To donate please click here.

The New York Says Thank You Foundation a five year old “start-up” charity/volunteer organization started in response to all the support and generosity those impacted by 9/11 in the New York area received from people across America.

For the past five years, on the anniversary of 9/11, volunteers from NY travel to a location that suffered a disaster in the past year and help rebuild that community.  Each year the number of volunteers grows and includes people from the communities that have been helped previously.

This year on the upcoming sixth Anniversary of 9/11, we are going to help rebuild the Central Texas home of an extraordinary American family. Three generations of the Vincent Family of Groesbeck, Texas have run assisted-living centers for Disabled Veterans out of their homes. They created a unique and loving environment where these men who served our Nation can live out their days in a beautiful country setting. The Vincents also serve their local community as they represent 25% of Groesbeck’s 40-member Volunteer Fire Department.

Unfortunately, on December 29, 2006 a deadly tornado ripped through the Vincent family compound, destroying the home where James and Eva Vincent lived with their 14-month son Hunter and 5 of the veterans. One of the veterans died in the twister but Eva’s quick actions literally saved the lives of her young son and the other men in her care.
Originally built by hand 30 years ago by James' grandfather, the home was unfortunately uninsured. And because Groesbeck was never declared a federal disaster area, the family was not eligible for FEMA or other government assistance to rebuild. While the extended family will continue to care for the disabled veterans in the home of Debbie Vincent (James' mom), James and Eva and their young son Hunter, need a home.

We need your help!  We have over 1,000 volunteers ready to rebuild the home but are short of our required budget for this project by approximately $15,000. Time is running out and we need this funding no later than Monday, August 6 to commit to purchasing the basic materials needed, (like a tornado shelter) which require a few weeks lead time.  If you’d like to immediately make an on-line donation to support our efforts, please click here.

Thank you for your support.  For more information go to www.newyorksaysthankyou.org